With 2016 over, I thought I’d talk about what I’m planning on sewing in 2017. This past year was full of life changes, and I believe 2017 will be full of life changes as well. Since of these life changes is weight loss I decided to take a good, hard look at all the costumes and clothes I have in my closet and decided what I should do with them. Most of them I decided to keep, but not use or wear again, but others I decided to remake. I also found some dresses and skirts I loved, but believed I could make out of better fabric or fit better than they did when I made them.
Since I plan on blogging about my progress while making some of my clothes and costumes, I decided to dedicate a post about what I plan on making and blogging about in the coming year. 🙂
I’m not very pleased with the title of this post, but its the best I can think of right now. 😛
I began making the Elegant Princess Suit (Or dress) from the video game Fable 3 back in November of 2011. Although I finished it in 2012, I had to remake parts of it thanks to the constant enemy of my sewing and normal, everyday clothing… growth spurts. Fortunately, I finished it and it still fits in spite of recent growth spurts. (That’s right. I’m apparently not done growing) Although I finished it, I never got around to taking photos of the completed costume. Since I still don’t know some that knows how to use at least one of my cameras, I have to dress up my dress form and take photos of it myself. I think its becoming a tradition that the first photos posted online of a completed costume or sewing project I made are on a dress form and not on me. Haha! XD
Here’s what the whole entire costume looks like…
The dress is made out of satin, cotton, and navy silk. This was the first time I ever worked with silk so it was interesting. I am glad I did it because now I have confidence to work with silk more! The sleeves have hand embroidered details that can be seen in this post.
I still have yet to make the tiara. It’s harder than it looks so I’m taking my time making it. Losing the box that held all the pieces to make the tiara in my pile of storage boxes does not help matters either.
I got the chance to wear it to Taiyou Con 2014, but that was only for an hour. It wasn’t full of fan fare or anything special like that, but knowing I wore it once and it didn’t fall apart or the sleeves didn’t fall off my shoulders makes me happy. I still would like to wear the costume somewhere else and for longer than an hour. 🙂
If anyone would like to know how I made this costume, I typed up a summary including fabrics and patterns used on its own page. You can find the page here.
Today I have finally completed my Fable 3 Elegant Princess Suit! It took a long time for me to finish the costume, but I finally managed to do it! I began this costume in November of 2011 and finally finished it today. (August 2012) The dress is made out of white cotton, light blue shinny satin, blue dupioni silk, gold dupioni silk, and gold spandex.
As per usual, I don’t have any photos of me wearing the costume. I hope I can have photos of me wearing the dress some day soon, but for now you’ll have to make do with a work-in-progress photo. 😛
Here’s a reference picture of the dress I’m talking about. I didn’t end up relying on the game for my reference pictures because I don’t own the game and I don’t play video games. (Yes, it’s true.) I did use the video game reference guide to help me with reference pictures, but I did end up making the back different because I didn’t like the way the back looked very much. Here’s a picture I used as my main reference from the reference guide….
And here is the only picture I have on hand of the costume I made. It’s of the sleeve and the detail I worked very hard on….
Sometime soon I’ll take really nice photos of the tiara I made to go with the costume and add them up here. Ugh. I guess this means I need to get some good photographs of me wearing the whole entire costume? Drat! I’m not big on being the one in front of the camera (Because I’ve had really bad luck with people taking my photos) so this might be hard for me to force myself to get some picture of me wearing this costume….
Long time coming post! My life gets crazier than I tend to notice so sewing costumes and clothes I want to make take longer and are harder for me to complete. None more so than my Rose Tyler Idiot’s Lantern dress which has a bodice that I sewed thousands of individual sequins onto by hand. About a week ago, I finished the whole entire bodice.
Here’s a photo of the completed bodice…. (Clicking on the picture will take you to the page of the whole costume)
The bodice isn’t as completely perfectly symmetrical and probably couture designers would grumble about it, but I’m pleased with the result. I don’t have any photographs of the completed dress or me wearing the completed dress, but I hope that when I feel better (I’m currently fighting some sort of sickness that I’m beating back pretty well) I can get someone I know to take some pictures of me wearing the dress.
After the weight of sewing the Rose dress has been lifted off my shoulders, I’ve begun to work on other costumes including Umi Ryuzaki from Magic Knight Rayearth, Romana i from Doctor Who, and Merida from Brave. Here’s the progress of Merida’s dress sleeves which are made out of blue stretch velvet….
I’m pretty excited about these costumes. They’re not as tediously hard as the others I’ve been working on so that makes me happy. I hope I can get these costumes, including completing a costume from the video game Fable 3, completed by the end of the month. So far I’m on my way to doing it. ^_^