Rose Tyler Empty Child Jacket

This poor blog has fallen to the waist side while I worked on things for the Phoenix Comicon, so before I leave for the PCC, I decided to make a post about one of the costumes I’ll be wearing while there… Rose Tyler from The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances. Specifically the jacket.

DW110-0008

I know this isn’t the best photo of the jacket, but you get the idea of what I’m talking about. :)

I’ve been wanting to cosplay as Rose Tyler from those episodes for about a year now and I’ve gathered everything I needed for the costume except for the coat. I couldn’t find the real coat on ebay (It’s a Firetrap coat, style Harrie) or anywhere else. I did find some that would pass as a look-a-like, but they were too short for my torso, my size was sold out, ect. So, I do what I always do when there is a type of clothing I like but can’t buy…. I made it myself!

It took about two-ish weeks of researching the jacket, what to make it out of, what pattern to use, ect.  After I completed my research, I decided to make the main part of the jacket out of black sports nylon to make it more lightweight. I debated if I should make the coat out of rip stop, but I chose the sports nylon. Both fabric cost the same, felt similar, and had the same weight, but I chose the sports nylon because it was suggested by some of the windbreaker coat patterns I was using as a fabric reference. The lower part of the coat is black ribbed knit. The inner part of the jacket was made out of blue lining fabric I had already in my fabric stash. I sandwiched quilt batting in-between the lining and sports nylon to make the jacket warmer and thicker to create the shape of the original jacket and to support the buckle detail on the sleeves.

The pattern for the main part of the jacket was completely self drafted, but I did use McCall’s 6614 for the hood and Vogues 8346 for the sleeves. I also used Simplicity 1940 and 2153 for fabric and some construction reference.

There you have it! That’s how I made my Rose Tyler “Empty Child” coat! It’s not 100% accurate (Different way I added the buckles, the lining is different, ect.) but I love it anyway. It’s nice, warm, and comfy! The only problem is summer is, as of this writing, coming up very shortly and where I live, it gets VERY warm! :D

Here are photos of the jacket…

The front….

DSC04712ascaleda

The back….

DSC04716ascaleda

And the sleeve detail…

DSC04722ascaleda

Everything I wrote in this post was mirrored (Actually, copy/pasted) from the caption of the deviantART submission of the same jacket. With the same photos of the jacket only edited differently. I did this for several reasons, but mostly because I was busy while I worked on the jacket and I didn’t have time to take photos while I worked.

So, that’s about it. I hope this helped someone who had trouble finding the jacket and wanted to make one on their own! Now you must excuse me, I need to get back to preparing for the PCC! :D

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s