My Blog | Sewing

The Loki and Majorette Scarfs

February 25, 2015



This past month has been very busy for me and my normal job. Because of this, I didn’t have the time I sew as much as I’d like to. In spite of this, I was able to make some progress on my personal sewing projects and a little bit of progress on things for my Etsy store. It wasn’t as much progress as I’d hoped, but something is better than nothing!

Something on my to-do sewing list was finish a scarf I began last year. The scarf was made out of majorette fabric I found on Spoonflower (Located here) and I knew I wanted to make a skirt out of it, especially since I was the drum major of my high school marching band and when I used to attend college, I was studying music education. Unfortunately, I had the design printed on polyester silk crepe de chine. It wasn’t bad fabric, in fact I liked it very much, but I needed more fabric and by the time I got around to making the skirt the fabric was no longer for sale because it was a limited edition fabric. Since I didn’t have enough fabric to make a skirt, I decided to make a scarf out of it.

Although making a scarf is not as complex as a skirt, it wasn’t until 5-ish months later that I got around to finishing it.

majorette scarf

Again, it’s a very simple scarf to make. I just cut the fabric into strips, sewed them together, and sewed the fringe trim to the bottom. I originally wanted to wear the skirt I planned on using the fabric to make to a university band day or at a local parade in order to support the local marching bands, but now that I have a scarf I plan on wearing it wrapped around a sun hat whenever I want to wear my sun hat.

After I finished the Majorette scarf, I worked on my Loki scarf.

loki scarf

This scarf was originally not supposed to be made. I made Loki’s scarf before and, after finishing it, I had extra fabric. I didn’t have use for it but it was far too much to throw away. After some thought, I decided I wanted to add it as a waist band around my Marvel comic dress. After cutting apart the fabric, I realized I had enough to make a mini scarf for myself. The trim on the scarf is the same as the trim I used for the Majorette scarf and the first Loki scarf I made and was purchased off Etsy. The fabric was also from Spoonflower (Located here) and was printed on Silky Faille.

Well, those are the only sewing projects I was able to finish so far and am ready to talk about in a blog post. I’m very pleased with how both scarfs turned out and now wish I had more trim because I used almost everything I have on the three scarfs! Oh well. I still have other sewing projects I might get done before the end of this month, but I’m not sure if I’ll have the time to work on them. XD