Rose Tyler’s Stolen Earth Jacket- The Alternate Jacket

Its been a while since I talked about making my Rose Tyler Stolen Earth jacket. Since the last post, I ran into so many problems with the jacket that I’m thinking of the jacket and then deciding what I want to fix in a second yet-to-be-planned-for version.

Anyway, I’m taking a break from going conventions for the next few months, I have some extra money to spend, I needed another warm jacket (Growth spurts strike again), and, since I really wanted a jacket that would pass as Rose Tyler’s Stolen Earth jacket, I found one that looked like the jacket online (Ebay to be exact) and bought it.

Here’s what it looks like…

036a Continue reading “Rose Tyler’s Stolen Earth Jacket- The Alternate Jacket”

Making Rose Tyler’s Stolen Earth Jacket- Figuring out the Patterns

It’s been many months since I mentioned that I was working on a scratch-built Rose Tyler’s Stolen Earth jacket. For the most part I’ve been too busy and frustrated to work on the jacket, but this past week I decided it was time to sit down and work on the patterns, cut out the fabric, and possibly finish a majority of the jacket. So far I’ve worked on the patterns, cut out the fabric, and pined the pieces together. XD

Originally I planned on drafting the patterns for the jacket from scratch, but I abandoned that idea for a variety of reasons, mostly to save myself from going crazy with the construction of the jacket. The jacket’s seams are… interesting. Nice to look at, but…. interesting. I never made a jacket or coat with seams like this before so I wanted to base my jacket pattern off an already existing pattern. That way if I made a mistake I could go back to the original pattern and not have to start from scratch.

As a reference, here is a promotional image of the front of the jacket with the seams traced over…

DW411-0002b

And here’s a screen capture of the back of the jacket with the seams traced over…

DW401-1926a

I know I missed tracing some seams in the pictures, but I wanted to focus on the torso section of the jacket. The sleeves seams (Which you cannot see in the pictures) are normal, sans the ribbed knit at the bottom, but the torso section of the jacket is kind of odd. I had a lot of trouble finding and modifying the back section of the pattern because, well, I messed up on where the seams are. I actually made an extra seam in the back, but I’ll talk about that later.

Although I had trouble with the seams and turned out “wrong”, I’ll still talk about what I did wrong so if anyone uses my posts to make their own jacket, they’ll know what can go wrong and how to change it. 🙂 Continue reading “Making Rose Tyler’s Stolen Earth Jacket- Figuring out the Patterns”