Making an 18th Century Bum Pad

After weeks of working on the Elizabethan Whovian costume, I began to have a sewing idea block. In order to keep myself sewing, I began to work on something I knew I’d need and is easy to sew. Since I needed to make a bum pad for a future 18th century costume, I decided to make that my next sewing project.

The pattern I used to make the bum roll is Simplicity’s pattern number 8162.

Continue reading “Making an 18th Century Bum Pad”

18th Century Hoop Pockets

Back in January, after my car accident (I didn’t want to mention I was in a car accident here on my blog until I got everything settled. Since it’s settled, I can now mention it.) I was still shaken up and needed something to get my mind off worrying about my car. I needed to make a pair of 18th century hoop pockets for dresses I wanted to make in the future, so I decided to make that.

The hoop pockets were made using J. P. Ryan’s pattern for hoop pockets. Although the instructions are good, I misplaced them while working on the hoops. I ended up making the hoops without the instructions, but when I found the instructions I realized I did some things wrong. Unfortunately, I finished the hoop pockets before I found the instructions so I had to rip the pockets apart to fix them. I think there are still things I did wrong, but I did my best.

Here’s what the hoop pockets look like on my dress form…

hoop pockets

The tie is some left over ribbon I had in my ribbon stash.

Although I made mistakes making the hoop pockets, they seem to give the shape I want under the dress I’m currently making. I’m not sure if this will continue after I finish the dress and put the full weight of the skirt with the trim on it over the pockets, but if they fail I have the instructions so I can make a new pair that will be stronger and not fail. 🙂