18th century | Costume | My Blog | Sewing

Making an 18th Century Bum Pad

May 18, 2017



After weeks of working on the Elizabethan Whovian costume, I began to have a sewing idea block. In order to keep myself sewing, I began to work on something I knew I’d need and is easy to sew. Since I needed to make a bum pad for a future 18th century costume, I decided to make that my next sewing project.

The pattern I used to make the bum roll is Simplicity’s pattern number 8162.

I’m so happy I got around to using one of the American Duchess’ patterns from Simplicity. I’ve read her blog for years and I’ve learned a lot about 18th century costumes because of her posts. To be able to make something American Duchess designed makes me a happy costumer!

The pattern creates three 18th century undergarments: A chemise, a bum pad, and a corset. I really want to make the corset, but, due to recent weight loss, I decided to wait to make that until my body snaps back into shape. I’m not sure how long that will take for my body to snap back into shape, so I decided to make the bum pad first.

I made my bum pad out of muslin and the ties are satin ribbon. I know the pattern called for twill tape for the ties, but I had trouble finding twill tape where I live. Satin ribbon is easier to come by, so I used that instead.

The bum pad sewed together very quickly and I was able to finish most of it in one day’s worth of sewing, but I ended up stopping before I could stuff it with polyester stuffing. I thought I had polyester stuffing saved from something I made years ago, but I couldn’t find  it. I think it’s still hiding somewhere in my house, but I got sick of tearing apart my house to find it. So, I bough new stuffing and began putting the house back together. (It’s been at least a month and I’m still trying to put the house back together again. *sigh*)

Anyway, here’s a photo of what the bum pad looked like before it was stuffed…

After I stuffed the bum pad and hand sewed the open edge closed, I wanted to take photos of it on my dress form. After a week of constant wind and another week of rain (Actually, it was a weekend, but you get the point), I was able to take photos of it outside on my dress form!

Overall, I’m happy with the way it turned out. I think I overstuffed it (I used a whole entire package of stuffing) but it doesn’t act overstuffed and the seams do not appear stressed so I think it’s ok. I do wish I could find twill tape for the ties. The satin ribbon works fine, but I think twill tape would work much much better. Still, I’m happy with it. :)

That’s all for now! Thank you for reading!