Red/Gold/Black Tudor Dress

Title: Original Red/Gold/Black Tudor Dresstudor gowna

Completion Status: 70%

Debuted:

Time Spent Making this Cosplay:

Reason for making this costume: I wanted a Tudor dress since I was a little, but it wasn’t until I attended the Arizona Renaissance Festival in 2010 when I decided to make one for myself. After seeing all the pretty dresses at the festival, I thought it was time to make one for my own!

How I made this costume: I used Simplicity pattern no. 2589 to make the whole entire outfit. I didn’t modify the pattern any, except I added a zipper to the back of the gown instead of making it a lace-up costume.

The gown is made out of raspberry red/black embroidered taffeta. The detail on the neckline is trim with rhinestones on it. I was debating if I wanted to use pearl trim on the neckline, but I didn’t like the way the pearls would look with the dress.

The inner sleeves are made out of black taffeta with black designs that feel like velvet and white “silkessnce” fabric I bought at Joann’s fabric store. In order to match the rhinestone trim of the gown, I used buttons that have rhinestones in the middle of them.

The under skirt is made out of gold/red upholstery fabric and black broadcloth. (I used these fabric types because they were suggested by the pattern) When I was making this dress, I never used french seams before so I practiced them on the broadcloth part of this skirt.

Inspiration:

Progress Photos: