Character: Rose Tyler
Series: Doctor Who Season 1
Variation/Episode Title: The Empty Child and The Doctor Dances
Completion Status: 100%
Debuted: Phoenix Comicon 2013
Time Spent Making this Cosplay: One month (Worked on and off)
Background/Reason for Cosplaying this Character: I really wanted to cosplay as Rose for Phoenix Comicon 2013 but since I couldn’t wear my Idiot’s Lantern dress, I was suck on what type of clothes I should wear that would make people realize it’s me dressed as Rose. The Empty Child and The Doctor Dances episodes stuck out in my mind the most so I decided to cosplay as Rose from those episodes. It didn’t help that John Barrowman, who played Captain Jack Harkness, was going to be a guest that year… and The Empty Child was the first episode of Doctor Who Jack Harkness was in. 🙂
The costume is fairly simple construction wise because I already owned half of the costume already! I wore a pair of jeans, boots, and white tank top shirt I already owned. I bought the shirt off amazon.com, but I’ve heard other cosplayers get their shirts off ebay. The only hard part was the jacket…
I already own jackets that would pass as a substitute for the Firetrap jacket that was worn in the episode, but the only problem is they were made out of faux leather. And the convention is near the end of May in Phoenix, Arizona were the average temperature is close to 100 degree Fahrenheit. I know for certain I’d die from sweating if I wore the jackets I already owned (That was a joke. Sort of…) so I decided to make one that is more screen accurate than the ones I already owned and is a light weight jacket.
I ended up looking for photos of the Firetrap jacket, style Harrie on the internet and looked a photos of many different cosplayers who found the jacket on sale on ebay or other sources, wore it, and posted photos of themselves with the jacket on. I also looked for screen captures from the episodes in order to see what the back, front, ect. looked like. After doing my research, I began to construct the jacket by drafting my own pattern for the bodice of the jacket.
The pattern for the main part of the jacket was completely self drafted, but I did use McCall’s 6614 for the hood and Vogues 8346 for the sleeves. I also used Simplicity 1940 and 2153 for fabric and some construction reference.
After I completed the jacket, I did some more research and discovered some things that are inaccurate with it.
In 2014 for the Phoenix Comicon, I made another jacket, this time more accurate than the first. I’m afraid I don’t remember a lot about the jacket’s construction but I do remember I had to redraft the patterns for the jacket because I didn’t like the original pattern. Although the jacket is a wonderful jacket, I ended up finding a real Firetrap Harrie in a purple color and my size for sale so I purchased it. I’m not sure if I’ll make a third jacket using the real Harrie as a reference, but if I do, I think I’ll stop making and remaking this jacket. It’s getting very frustrating to constantly remake the same jacket for myself!
Blog posts about this cosplay:
- Post about the first jacket with some explanation about it’s construction.
- Post about the second jacket.